Re: [ossig] Patent Covers at al

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 14:40 +0800, Harish Pillay wrote:
> Looking at some of the 141 "software" patents on the epatents.gov.sg site,
> it appears that most of the ones are triggered from the FTA that Singapore
> has with the US and NZ.  It might indeed be that there are no *local* software
> patents but those that came in via the back door of the FTAs.

But it'll still be valid in .sg, no? In which case, .sg froods are in
the same trouble as before, regardless of whether the patents are local
or foreign.

> Some of these are with IBM and am wondering if these are part of the 1500
> or so that IBM released to the open source community.

IBM, Sun releasing its patent is a nice gesture but it doesn't really
help. It's not IBM we should be worried about (at least not now). It's
the Eolas's and the Siemen's and the BT's who have file filed s/ware
patent lawsuits before we should be worried about!

Legitimizing software patents is really the problem.

I thought the Spore FTA allowed for software patents - I will need to do
more reading on this.

Ditesh