Re: [ossig] Patent Covers at al

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 14:08 +0800, jason chong wrote:
> Folks, we have a minefield here that is gonna explode in Malaysia.
> Time to move your asses before it's too late. The patent law itself in
> it's current state is perfectly capable of being twisted to suit the
> agenda of patent trolls and lawyers who're out to make more money from
> patent applications. This is not a joke. Patent holders can claim that
> you infringe on their 'method/process' in ANY field you're in, from
> software to engineering to medicine to agriculture.

It's hard for non-programmers to understand why software patents are
bad.

When we invited rms to talk on the dangers of software patents, the
feedback I got a person working with an investment firm was "How are we
going to (a) otherwise protect intellectual rights and (b) build
intellectual capital that can be valued?" Non-programmers see software
patents as an additional "protection" of their ideas/work and puzzle at
why more protection can be bad.

Plenty of decision makers are not programmers. If a message is to be
sent to them of the dangers of software patents, it cannot be in terms
that we use to explain to developers - it needs to be in their own
language.

Ditesh