Re: [ossig] Call for M'sian govt to rethink open source policy

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 12:03 +0800, Yusseri Yusoff wrote:
> On Thursday 06 October 2005 11:11, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > >
> > > Not necessarily, no.
> >
> > I see. So, barking up the wrong tree once again.
> >

> What do you mean?

Meaning, we can all agree that it's a good idea. (Bark) but the fact is
the Tree is unlikely to be budging.

> > >  MAMPU's scope within the Government is the
> > > public sector only. While they can encourage the MoE to adopt OSS for the
> > > schools, it is ultimately up to MoE to decide.
> >
> > So, the next question would be, have they encouraged the MoE? If yes,
> > what are their response?
>
> Okay, here's the thing. MAMPU can go and tell MoE that OSS is a good thing. MS
> will also go and tell MoE that OSS is practically useless. The situation
> is ... dynamic.

Yes. I do agree that it's a dynamic thingy. However, what still eludes
us is the question of who in the govt has the most clout with MoE. Is it
the Prime Minister who suggested the usage of FLOSS in the Govt where
applicable? If it is, then I believe it lies within their interest to go
down the path where the PM has opened. If anything, IMHO, schools should
be the 1st target, businesses 2nd.

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!