Re: [ossig] Malaysian Law With Respect To Employees Who Program OnTheir Own Time

Nur Hussein wrote:

> Logical arguments don't work with some type of folks who peddle snake
> oil. They'll twist your words and use them against you[1]. They'll
> redefine entire words and concepts to support their arguments [2].
> They'll throw in red herrings [3] and make false analogies [4]. And
> when all else fails, they'll appeal to their own authority [5], or
> perhaps dish out some ad hominem to throw you off balance [5]. See the
> corresponding number below for examples.
>
> 1. But if support is expensive, then Free Software isn't free now is
> it! You're trying to con people!
>
> [snipped]

> 6. You're just an inferior student, you know nothing about business,
> therefore you are wrong.
>
> If they break the laws of debate, how do you debate them logically?

i was once confronted by 2 Microsoft big guys during Cebit. They came
just to see what different universities are doing, and see whether we
are using their product as platform. I attracted them, because on my
suit i have Tux pin on it. And they do attempt to go into Hussein's type
of conversation, but my answer to them was "freedom of choice". They
can't really say much here, since i insist if a software can give me
enough freedom and provide me best solutions, i will use it.

at the end they challenged me to put on the .Net pin :) which i did.
kekekke. must be fair to talk about freedom. But of course, i told them
we don't use .net because .net cannot solve our issues.

so now i have both tux and .net pin. hmm.

SL