Re: [ossig] Re: [myoss] DAP MALAYSIA: Broadband for all inMalaysia]

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 17:33 +0800, Dr Molly Cheah wrote:
> the OSS community is not addressing the lack of support even to the Govt
> agencies. They have a problem that the Govt agencies said that they
> would not or could not migrate to oss is because there is lack of
> support and maintenance.

My 2cents says that this is wholly a bunch of rigmarole. Why it may be
true that the FLOSS support is limited to only those of Novell(r),
RedHat(r) and some select SMB companies, I believe the bigger is really
a double edged sword.

W/O enough people versed in FLOSS, there will definitely be a lack of
support people. How can this be combated? Education. Since the
Government has stated that one of the roadblocks leading to the adoption
of FLOSS is due to support/maintenance, the government should not just
sit on their laurels and let it go by. Instead, implement some sort of
education programme such that there will be more people versed in FLOSS.

> It will be difficult to involve members of the
> OSS community, in its present unorganised manner unless they are part of
> a corporate entity, in big projects.

Yeah. I agree that this is a job for BOSSA - Business Open Source
Software Alliance!

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!