Re: [ossig] Xara Xtreme going GPL

--- jason chong <jcvw75@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not in the same class I think. GIMP is more towards
> Adobe Photoshop,
> and Xara Xtreme could be more towarsd Adobe
> Illustrator.

Actually, they seem to be positioning themselves as
illustrator and photoshop killer. Read the FAQs. Also,
take a look at the gallery link in my original post.
There's one set of images that look like classical oil
paintings. I was stunned that they were made with a
vector drawing package!

But I suppose...if you look at physical oil paintings,
they are kinda like vector drawings. You gradually add
on strokes of (fat) lines onto the canvas.

Come to think of it, most physical artwork *is*
'vector-based', innit? Excepting perhaps, such styles
as pointilism
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointillism).

> But if you wanna go for high quality 3D stuff,
> should check out
> http://www.blender3d.com
> http://www.blender3d.com/cms/Gallery.55.0.html

Indeed! The open source multimedia stack is really
coming together now. It's quite amazing especially for
those of use involved in open source since the early
nineties.