[ossig] Re: [myoss] FUD, Pure FUD - AVG AntiVirus

On 10/13/05 17:37 Ow Mun Heng said the following:
> According to Grisoft, AVG Free Edition for Linux is the only program for
> Linux that self-updates the software, as well as checking for the latest
> virus updates.

i've never liked software which updates itself, on open source or
proprietary systems for the simple reason that it exposes itself to an
entry vector of corrupt/exploited update files.

> everything in Linux auto-updates! *
>
> * Cron and Daemon services.

cron has to be set up by the user, while i believe grisoft was talking of
their software itself updating automatically. even if they used the cron
mechanism, it's still a step up for less savvy users.