Re: [myoss] Re: [ossig] Call for M'sian govt to rethink opensource policy

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 11:12 +0800, BIGrat wrote:
>         MoE is adopting OSS. Right now they have dual boot PCs on some
>         10ku running Suse.
>

> dual boot doesnt really cut it.. old habits die hard and i am
> confident that micro-inhale will be the platform of choice for the
> students .... UNLESS there are applications that they need to run on
> the box.  gerald, would you know whether there are such applications
> that's delivered with linux?

FWIW, on the desktops, the SPM examinations as well as the regular exams
in secondary school (afaik, they do offer computing), is very MS
Centric.

5 marks to copy and paste something in MS Word.

I know of a school (and I think Uwe, William, Soo Hoe on list know too)
running a dual boot lab. The teachers are gung ho about Linux (afaik,
they're running FC3 now; started with RHL9). But come pre-exam time when
they need to use computers, they're wiped clean (MoE requirement), and
installed with Windows only for the exam

Good thing we made it easy for them to re-deploy their dual-boot
environments once exams are over (win98/fc3). I know, I've spent the
last two pre-Christmas eve's at said school :0)
--
Colin Charles, http://www.bytebot.net/