Re: [ossig] FW: [bytesforall_readers] FSFE: Early comment on new Microsoft Shared Source Licenses

On 21 Oct 2005 at 15:42, Fouad Riaz Bajwa wrote:

> Looking forward to everyone's comments on the attached message below

This brings to mind a discussion we had some time ago when the possibility
of MS making MS-Windows open source came up and some some people did
venture to say that it is not that un-thinkable for that to happen if the
environment and business conditions call for that as MS will still be able
to make money from its other software, services, content etc.  In fact if
MS-Windows was made open probably even more people will use it and with
this MS will stand to gain in the sales of the rest of the proprietary
software it still has as well as the multimedia, messaging and content
services built around the MS-Windows technology environment.

Of course coming up with some free software licenses does not really mean
anything except that it acknowledges that FOSS is desirable in some
environments and that the demand for it cannot be ignored anymore.  What
really matters is the software that will be released under these MS
licenses - will they be just some fairly inconsequential ones just to
enable MS to stand up and say "yes btw we do FOSS too" or will some really
significant technologies and software be opened up?

My view is that for the time being MS will be pursuing a two-pronged
strategy, firstly to aggressively push its proprietary software products
as promoting and conforming to open standards (their definition of it) and
therefore is open enough for govt and corporations to use and so they
should not discriminate against proprietary software.  Secondly, by
testing the waters with some software being released as FOSS they are
preparing themselves to cope in a more FOSS centric environment if and
when that should happen.

--
Soo Hoe