[ossig] Microsoft learns from the Open Source Community - Is Microsoft trying to do the penguin dance too? - But Why? Oh!

Donít know whether you guys had a chance to read this story:

Publication: Computer Weekly 					Date: Oct 20
2005
Source URL: http://www.linux.org/news/publication/00110.html
Reporter: Jack Schofield

"We are not anti-open source," says Martin Taylor, Microsoft's general
manager of competitive strategy. In fact, he makes a point of hiring people
with Linux and open source skills for his R&D team and Linux lab.

Earlier this year, for example, he hired Daniel Robbins, former chief
architect of the Gentoo distribution of Linux. His team is also trying to
"forge good partnerships" with open source suppliers, such as Microsoft's
recent deal with JBoss. Taylor has even given an interview to Linux
developers website Slashdot.

Details:
Why Microsoft is learning from Linux in its drive to deliver software as a
service - by Jack Schofield (Wednesday 19 October 2005)

"We are not anti-open source," says Martin Taylor, Microsoft's general
manager of competitive strategy. In fact, he makes a point of hiring people
with Linux and open source skills for his R&D team and Linux lab.

Earlier this year, for example, he hired Daniel Robbins, former chief
architect of the Gentoo distribution of Linux. His team is also trying to
"forge good partnerships" with open source suppliers, such as Microsoft's
recent deal with JBoss. Taylor has even given an interview to Linux
developers website Slashdot.

Of course, he is not promoting Linux. Taylor is making the effort to "know
his enemy", and find its weak points. He talks to customers about why they
might choose open source instead of Microsoft software, tests the main
scenarios in the lab, and gets Microsoft's programmers or partners to try to
fix the deficiencies.

Examples include making it easier to set up a Windows web server, and
high-performance computing, where Taylor admits Microsoft has not done a
good enough job.

But there is another aspect: trying to harness the power of open source as
"an alternative development model". JBoss, for example, has an open source
ideology, but Taylor wants to find ways to optimise JBoss for Windows.
"[JBoss CEO] Marc Fleury says half his customers are on Windows, and
financially, he does better out of them," says Taylor.

"People like to pit this as an either/or binary choice between open source
and Windows. But if you look at the projects on SourceForge [an open source
developers website], an astonishing number are on Windows."

One of Windows' main attractions is its ability to run tens of thousands of
programs, the vast majority of which have been developed outside Microsoft.
The company does not want to see tens of thousands of programs that do not
run on Windows, even if some of them compete with Microsoft products.

But that is not the future. Taylor quotes his boss, Steve Ballmer, talking
about Microsoft winning on the desktop and on the server: the next task is
to win on the web.

"We are talking about delivering software as a service: how do we deliver
value from the cloud? This is not the hosted, or ASP, model, it is
delivering a set of services that people might want to use," he says.

Examples include the FrontBridge anti-spam and mail management service,
which Microsoft has bought, and the Windows Update patching service.

"Internally, we have got a strategy for all of our products of how we
deliver value to customers via the cloud. Stage two is how we monetise that
value," says Taylor. "If we are number one on delivering that value and
delivering customer satisfaction, that is a good definition of winning."

l Jack Schofield is computer editor at The Guardian

Regards.
---------------------------
Fouad Riaz Bajwa
General Secretary
FOSSFP: Free & Open Source Software Foundation of Pakistan ģ
FOSSAC ' 2006 Secretariat
Punjab University College of Information Technology
University of The Punjab, Allama Iqbal (Old) Campus
The Mall, Lahore-54000, Pakistan
Phone #: 92 (042) 111-923-923 Ext: 27
Cell #: 92-333-4661290
e-mail: bajwa@fossfp.org
Lahore-Pakistan.
Disclaimer:
This e-mail message is intended for its recipient only. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please discard it. The author of this e- mail takes no
responsibility for the material, implicit or explicit.
†