[ossig] WSIS Tunis

Below is the link to debriefing notes on WSIS Geneva Phase, useful in
preparation for the Phase 2 in Tunis starting 14th November 2005.

Apart from the Declaration of Principles and Plan of Action related to
Free Software, there are also statements that deals with Patents,
Copyrights, Trademarks (PCT). Here's the link .....
http://www.germany.fsfeurope.org/projects/wsis/debriefing-geneva.html

>     Debriefing on
>

>   World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS)
>   Geneva Phase / Part I, Geneva, December 10-12
>
> *by Georg C. F. Greve
> <http://www.germany.fsfeurope.org/about/greve/index.en.html>
> <greve@fsfeurope.org>*
>
>       European Caucus of Civil Society@WSIS, Chair
>       Patents, Copyrights, Trademarks (PCT) working group of Civil
>       Society@WSIS, co-coordinator
>       Delegate of German Civil Society@WSIS coordination circle in
>       German governmental delegation
>       FSF Europe, president
>
> *Free Software*
>
> Software shapes the digital age and access to it determines who may
> participate in a digital world. That is why Free Software
> <http://www.germany.fsfeurope.org/projects/wsis/fs.en.html> with its
> freedoms of use for any purpose, studying, modification and
> redistribution is an essential building block for an empowering,
> sustainable and inclusive information society.
>
> The paragraphs adopted for this on December 12th were
>
>       *Declaration of Principles* 27: /"Access to information and
>       knowledge can be promoted by increasing awareness among all
>       stakeholders of the possibilities offered by different software
>       models, including proprietary, open-source and free software, in
>       order to increase competition, access by users, diversity of
>       choice, and to enable all users to develop solutions which best
>       meet their requirements. Affordable access to software should be
>       considered as an important component of a truly inclusive
>       Information Society."/
>
>       *Plan of Action* C3, 10, e): /"Encourage research and promote
>       awareness among all stakeholders of the possibilities offered by
>       different software models, and the means of their creation,
>       including proprietary, open-source and free software, in order
>       to increase competition, freedom of choice and affordability,
>       and to enable all stakeholders to evaluate which solution best
>       meets their requirements."/

Molly