[ossig] [Fwd: [BUNGARAYA] RM10 salary cut motion for Jamaludin Jarjis nextweek]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [BUNGARAYA] RM10 salary cut motion for Jamaludin Jarjis next week
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:34:59 +0800
From: DAP MALAYSIA <dap.malaysia@pobox.com>
To: bungaraya@listserv.net-gw.com

Media Statement by Parliamentary Opposition Leader and DAP MP for Ipoh
Timor Lim Kit Siang in Parliament on Wednesday, 16th November 2005:

Call on Prime Minister to issue directive to all Ministers, Deputy
Ministers and Parliamentary Secretaries to promptly honour their
undertakings in Parliament such as giving written answers
=======================================

The Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi should  issue a
directive to all Ministers, Deputy Ministers and Parliamentary
Secretaries to promptly honour their undertakings in Parliament such as
to give written answers to issues raised by MPs either during Question
Time or debates.

On October 19, 2005, the Minister for Science, Technology and Innovation,
Datuk Dr. Jamaludin Jarjis promised to give me a written answer to my
query on the Open Source operating system on the ground that he had run
out of time.

In my speech on the 2006 Budget on October 3, 2005, I had asked whether
the Malaysian Government had kow-towed to Microsoft on the the “Open
Source” issue, which I had described as “another example of the
government putting corporate interest above the national goal of
broad-based IT literacy” when it shelved the plan to experiment with open
source operating system.

I had referred to the announcement by Jamaludin in April 2004 that Mimos
Bhd was tasked with creating an operating system for computers using open
source software, describing it as “a move that when completed will make
information communication technology cheaper and accessible to all”
Microsoft holds a monopoly on operating systems for personal computers and
charges expensive royalty and fees usage and upgrade. Open-source is
software for which the source code (the instructions for the software) is
available for distribution and modification.  The modifier retains the
copyright for his work, but the source code is public domain.

I informed Parliament during the debate that Brazil, China, France,
Germany, Japan, South Korea and recently Peru, among others, have been
actively moving toward the Linux operating system and other open-source
alternatives that can mean millions of dollars in savings.

Institute of Information Technology, a Brazilian government agency working
to promote digital inclusion, estimated that Brazil spent USD 1.1 billion
on royalties and licensing fees for imported software programmes in 2002.
According to the same source, Brazilian government agencies that have
adopted free software had their costs reduced to a mere three percent of
what would have been paid for proprietary programmes.

Jamaludin pointed out then that the Government wanted to look at ways to
boost computer literacy among Malaysians without the burden of paying
high fees.

Malaysia spent about RM 7.86 billion on IT in 2003, of which RM 1.8
billion were on software. If the cost of using open-source software is
10% of Microsoft’s product, the RM 1.6 billion savings could be utilized
to reduce the gap between the “information haves” and “information
haves-not”.

I also told Parliament that less than two months after Jamaludin’s
announcement, Micosoft’s boss Bill Gates visited Malaysia, met with the
Prime Minister and other ministers, and donated RM 10 million to some
schools.

I pointed out hat since Bill Gates’  visit,  the discussion on open source
operating system had vanished from public discourse. I stressed that it
was time  for the government to reexamine the potentials of open-source
and stop “kow tow” to Microsoft as the IT policy of Malaysia must be a
policy that champions “IT for All”, not favoring big corporations.

About  a month has passed, and everyone are still waiting for Jamaludin to
keep his promise in Parliament on Oct. 19. Jamaludin  should not think he
can get away from his parliamentary undertaking so easily. If I do not
get an answer from Jamaludin by tomorrow, I will move an amendment motion
to cut the  Minister’s salary by  RM10 when the 2006 estimates for
Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation come up for debate next
Tuesday.

In the second case, Deputy Finance Minister Tengku Putera Tengku Awang
promised in Parliament on October 27 during the winding-up of the
committee stage  on the 2006 budget estimates for the Finance Ministry to
give me written replies on two issues which I had earlier brought up in
the debate, viz:

Why Bank Negara awarded a little-known company, H & I Niaga Sdn. Bhd,
which had not submitted its profit-and-loss accounts for the past three
years from 2002 with the RM320 million contract to build Financial
Services Resources Centre (FSRC), and whether it would not be cheaper to
buy over and refurnish one of the many empty buildings in Kuala Lumpur
for what is essentially a conference centre, money museum and an art
gallery.

•	The outcome of the Prime Minister’s directive to the Securities
Commission in June, giving it one month to complete a probe into the
serious allegation that Hong Leong Bank Bhd had manipulated shares prices
in the stock market by refusing margin financing to well-managed and
cash-rich companies.  Although this issue was headline news in June it
suddenly disappeared from public sight and nobody knew about the outcome
of the Securities Commission investigation into Hong Leong Bank Bhd.

The Prime Minister should remind  Ministers, Deputy Ministers and
Parliamentary Secretaries of their  duty to  achieve the objective of
transforming the Malaysian Parliament into a First-World Parliament, as
it is impossible to have a First World Parliament if there continues to
be Third-World Ministers, Deputy Ministers and Parliamentary Secretaries
in the administration.

- Lim Kit Siang
- http://limkitsiang.com
- http://blog.limkitsiang.com