Re: [ossig] Programmer life in Malaysia.

i do like my programmer life alter-ego. i graduated in economics, joined
an accounting firm in my first job, after 2 years 70% of my job was
programming related (acl - audit command language) and now (after 4
employers and 7 years) i am in my current business selling and
supporting business software 20% of it still involved some form of
programming (sql, crystal report, macro and various oo.o functions).

by the way when i was an employee, i started with rm1100 per month in
1991, but i have never failed to get a 20% annual increment. but that
could have also been due to playing hockey and karaoke with the senior
managers, and being sports club secretary.

life has not always been enjoyable, but certainly exciting. what is
important is not the technical skills, but how have those skills been
applied.

tip for the young undergraduates:
1. do your academics well (that will open employment doors - worth 10 mins)
2. apply those academic skills in projects eg open source software (that
will engage potential employers - worth at least 30 mins)
3. interact with your peers, supervisors and superiors (that will make
it easier for other people to work with you, and vice versa -  worth a
lifetime).

Dinesh Nair wrote:

> On 11/15/05 16:20 jason chong said the following:
>
>> Employers in Malaysia are always complaining about not being able to
find talented people/programmers.

> and that's absolutely true, as evidenced by the posts at lowyat.net.
too many people think that knowing an inconsequential language along
with time spent on the job should equate to a higher salary. actual
capabilities dont seem to matter.

begin:vcard
n:Shah;Raja Iskandar
fn:Raja Iskandar Shah