Re: [ossig] Programmer life in Malaysia.

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 15:28 +0800, Dinesh Nair wrote:

> in fact, from my point of view, FOSS development experience stands as being
> more valuable than closed source development experience because as an
> employer i can easily judge your capabilities and your qualities by looking
> at the FOSS code you've written. your management and leadership skills will
> also be apparent from the manner in which you manage the FOSS project while
> your communications and crisis management skills would be clear from how
> your resolve conflicts within the foss project.

Just to be clear, one does not need to manage their own FOSS project,
but it can be applied to how you deal with the group and project.

Additionally involvement in FOSS projects (especially large ones) opens
the way for you to gain experience and knowledge of world class software
development best practises that would otherwise not be available to
students (or even those working in local proprietary software
companies).

It also opens job opportunities beyond local borders if you are good
enough.

This is a digitally signed message part