Subject: [FOSS-PDI] Technical performance comparisons between OOo and MSO
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 05:56:24 -0000
From: Atanu Garai <atanu.garai@oneworld.net>
To: foss-pdi@lists.apdip.net
CC: tlf@dgroups.org

Dear Colleagues

Further to our discussion, here are some comparisons between OOo and
MSO which show relatively poor performance of OOs. The clear
advantage over OOs is that it is available free in market whereas MSO
comes with a high price tag. However, when it comes to choosing
between OOo and MSO in publicly funded ICT projects, such as
telecentres, it is difficult to determine adoption of SW model,
dealing with issues relating to efficiency, usability, convenience
over pricing.

Regards
Atanu Garai,
OWSA

Analyses:

OpenOffice.org 2.0 is here, but is it a pig? (George Ou) (Oct 21, 05)
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=119

The technical comparison gives a file load time of Microsoft Excel
2003 and OpenOffice.org 2.0 Calc (The spreadsheet version of OOo).

Performance analysis of OpenOffice and MS Office (Oct 25, 2005)
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=120

This analsis shows that OpenOffice is memory and resource intensive
and contrary to popular belief, Microsoft Office came out very lean
and fast while OpenOffice.org Office Suite was just the opposite.