Re: [myoss] Re: [ossig] [FOSS-PDI] Analysis: Limitations of OpenOffice.Org,by Andrew Brown, The Guardian

Dinesh Nair wrote:

>> being attached to a company. Its just a bit hard for one to expect
>> developers to write code in an office suite...
>

> not to write code, but perhaps to write documents, spreadsheets and
> presentations. either way, this was your revelation, so i'm just
> requoting you when you said oo.o developers dont use the suite.:)

Well, when I said that, we were talking about office users. None of the
developers, afaik, work as secretaries or PA's, so don't get to use the
suite to its fullest. The only reason I learnt a lot about OOo was when
I used to do migration training, which was, eons ago. To be honest, I
found out a lot of OOo that we (most of the devels on the IRC channel
then) would've never known existed :P

<unrelated anecdote>
Oh the other day, I found out that =FIND() and =SEARCH() in OOo and
MSOffice work completely different. But I managed to get the same
solution required, using an =iserror() workaorund, coupled with IF and
SEARCH.

Its things like this I don't expect Jane Random to figure out (hence a
bug was filed)
</unrelated anecdote>

>> your laptop :P I did tell you to create a test case as well, if the
>> documents were sensitive (we mention this in IssueZilla afaik)
>

> the reproducability of the bug is random, hence the difficulty of doing
> this. in any case, the example i floated was to prove the assertion that
> there are show stopper bugs in oo.o, contrary to optimistic claims
> otherwise.

So, no chance of a bug filed, yet?

>> Didn't you get it via ports/pkg_add?
>>
>> http://porting.openoffice.org/freebsd/
>

> building oo.o from ports ? i'd do that if i had 3 days to spend doing
> nothing.

pkg_add openoffice then

That incidentally is also a question you'd need to answer in the bug
reporting form

>> In bugzilla, we call this state NEEDINFO_REPORTER. Sadly, a lot of
>> bugs stay in this state, and eventually get closed (because the
>> developers themselves can't reproduce this issue).
>

> but that there is an existence of a bug is not in doubt.

Without a test case, and just a visual, its a little impossible to fix

> the issue here is more the aptitude and attitude of the developers
> instead of the existence of a bug itself. it's not whether a bug exists
> or not. all software has bugs, some big and some trivial. the real issue
> is how those bugs are handled and the customer support issues
> surrounding that. that mental mindset is sorely lacking, and has already
> been demonstrated in this thread.

This thread is a mix of several meets at Yatra, and possibly Castle (add
alcohol to that) that the rest don't know about. Berating a fellow
developer, not submiting a bug report, or attempting to do anything more
than complain, doesn't show much aptitude either

Customer support from an open source project for free is always
interesting right? The mentality has always been a help yourself
attitude, visit a mailing list and if this is a NEEDINFO_REPORTER
without any info, it just goes on being unanswered.

Kind regards,
Your friendly old OpenOffice.org developer