Re: [myoss] Re: [ossig] [FOSS-PDI] Analysis: Limitations of OpenOffice.Org,by Andrew Brown, The Guardian

ok,

if i wanted to have the old switchable context sensitive object toolbar
from oo.o1.1.x back into oo.o2.x. what do i need to do ? from the
ooforum i have tried 2 possible solutions - that did not display the
same behaviour in oo.o1.1.x
1. overlapped the 2 toolbars (format and table) on the same bar with the
table toolbar slightly too the right of the left window border and the
formatting toolbar aligned to the left window border. problem: switching
does not work. the table toolbar is shoved to the right.
2. create custom toolbar with all the buttons from format and table
toolbars. problem: too many buttons to fit on one toolbar and context
sensitive behaviour will only disable the button and not make the button
'hidden'.

tried searching for something like a container toolbar that i can put
several toolbars and be able to switch between them. but not found it.
the thing with this object toolbar issue is that it was available before
and some mso users also thought it was a useful feature. now it is gone
and the mso users think that it looks more like poor relative of mso.

i have also read an article from a regular oo.o user lamenting the fact
that oo.o2.0 is now more similar to mso than it is to oo.o1.1.x

i would go back to using oo.o1.1.x if it was not for oo.o2.0 feature for
more columns and rows in calc and more drawing shapes in impress and
overall better compatibility with mso files.

would i pay for oo.o2.0 ? yes, if it was less than rm100 and included a
manual and had unlimited regular updates. would i pay for mso if it was
rm100 ? no, since it is always trying to be too clever - destructive
when it comes to my regular job of migrating data from one application
to another that requires some adjustment of columnar data. before
staroffice i was using lotus123 and quattropro which i bought for about
rm150 each.