Re: [myoss] Re: [ossig] [FOSS-PDI] Analysis: Limitations of OpenOffice.Org,by Andrew Brown, The Guardian

Dinesh Nair wrote:

>> This thread came from the guardian, but the comments "quoted" involved
>> f2f meets.
>

> not really. i was talking about oo.o and it's inadequacies and a bug i
> faced. you drew in the other bits. for some strange reason you're seeing
> this as a hit on your ego and are taking it personally.

Nah, I took it out of the "quote" you mentioned earlier in the thread

>> If OOo crashes, there's a crash reporter. If you visit the website,
>

> the point flew over your head, but then that is exactly the problem now
> isnt it ?
>
> software does have bugs and users will have problems. what matters is
> how those issues are handled. telling a user off is definitely not the
> recommended plan of action. more so when a bug is shown directly to an
> alleged developer, whose response was to say, go file it with a lizard
> or bugger off. it's the attitude and aptitude exhibited which is the
> core of what andrew brown wrote about. this thread has at least proven
> that he was write in one instance.

OK. Let me reverse the situation. FreeBSD has problems[1]; we tell an
alleged developer, who's response is its a "linux user error" or an
"ID10T error". Clearly there are faults as you say, its how the matters
are handled, right?[2] Re-reading that paragraph you wrote up there
might be useful

> if open source software has an intent of spreading it's message and
> principles globally, it should be aware of user related issues and
> change its own mindset in order to be cognizant of a user's needs and
> requirements. the old mentality of "scratching my itch" has to stop. if
> that were to continue, oss will only be used by oss proponents and
> developers and remain a niche movement for hobbyists.

Oh I fully agree.

Anyways, this thread isn't going to go very far at all. You're going to
play devil's advocate as the user, and I'm going to play the typical
developer. You realise you have a problem, IssueZilla has nothing filed
against "missing objects" under Presentation, you are capable of a
fairly sane bug report, being the developer that you are. No point going
into any ad hominem attacks or other nonsense.

Year's ending, we might as well kiss and make up with some teh tarik,
and go on with what we normally do, rather than spend time arguing
rather sillily over a bug you have, that we know exists on your box, but
isn't in the eyes of the folk responsible.

[1] - gnome 2.12 is in ports, but via pkg_add, its still gnome 2.10; and
2.12 was broken for a while, despite being around for a while. Another
unrelated issue, mysql5 is packaged to work well on freebsd6, but
mysql41 isn't