Re: [ossig] China's Linux disease

BIGrat wrote:
> this is sooooo applicable and parallels many instances of what is
> happening here :(
> dare we admit it?

<going offtopic>
Dare we admit the underlying reasons ?
You may loathe the Americans, you may hate Bush. But they will have
success as long as they follow common sense: You can slaughter a cow,
but then it won't give any more milk.
As far as I can perceive, the majority of the decision makers in US
still follow the principle of keeping a balance between personal
enrichment and societal concerns. Finally, you can only get richer
still, tomorrow, in a prosperous environment.
Alas, in the cultures / societies cited (and drawn parallels to) by you,
the greed of the individuals to enrich oneself beyond bounds disregards
any concern if the actual behaviour is somewhat sustainable.
Sociology comes in; as well as psychology and history. Someone who has
experienced and survived the Cultural Revolution cannot be expected to
base his business decisions on the assumption of continuity. If you can
drill your arms into cash today, you'll do so and grab whatever you can
get hold of.
Political stability, dependability and predictability, alas, give the
American Business people an advantage: Not greedily grabbing and eating
all grains of today will give you another, bigger, harvest next year.
This is what we don't see in PRC today; according to the cited source at
least.
And neither do we see anything vastly different in this country.
</offtopic>
A too large amount of the IT people in this country are no different, we
have to admit this. The idea of 'independence' hasn't taken off. Either
you subscribe your soul to Microsoft or someone else *who can promise
you to get rich*. How many did I meet who did honestly, deep inside,
think 'for Malaysia' ?? (mainly foreigners, what a joke !)
How many did I meet who were *keen* of giving out code ? Compared to
those who give it back *reluctantly* !!
As if there was no notion, that if everyone behaved like that, there
wouldn't have been code in the first place ... ! Therefore, instead of
building a sustainable infrastructure (of IT, e.g.) that will nourish us
and our kids, we are simply sitting and waiting for the clump of gold to
grab and then run and run and run ... .

Am I too negative ?

Uwe