[ossig] ZDNet: Real Geeks stay ahead

The rest of the world has finally noticed that the geeks have inherited the
Earth. Time to move on

Evolution is no respecter of seniority, and is unmoved by questions of good
taste. The dinosaurs must have snorted in derision at the first mammals
curiously small, fuzzy and overheated, they had none of the attributes of
real lizards. Yet when the climate changed, we had the last laugh.

The same is true today of that peculiar subspecies, Homo sapiens geekii.
Twenty years ago we scurried from niche to niche, overlooked or ridiculed
by the mainstream as we wrote software, soldered in RAM chips and wired up
modems. Now the world is run by the things we helped to create, and we're
reaping the rewards.

First the PC, then the Internet made arguments for technology that anyone
could understand. The subsequent growth in the pervasiveness of the Web has
been matched by an increase in the social and financial standing of those
who truly understand how it works. In an increasingly technologically
dependant and obsessed society, geeks have gone from underclass to ruling
class.

A study released this week documents this rise as the creation of a wealthy
and successful demographic  the New Geeks. Of course we're not actually
new, just early adopters who ride the curve until everyone else catches up.

It's worth noting where the early adopters are now  working in autonomous
systems, massively parallel distributed computing, and rebuilding their
technological environment. All ideas that make normal people's eyes glaze
over. Good.

There will always be geeks. No matter how much the rest of society catches
up, the true geeks, the top 10 percent obsessive, eccentric geniuses will
always stay ahead of the curve. The mainstream, no matter how well-padded,
is boring. Only by existing on the margins of technology are they able to
push its boundaries and leave room for everyone else to follow.

http://comment.zdnet.co.uk/other/0,39020682,39211863,00.htm