[ossig] Adam Bosworth on the Flexxies

I posted earlier, Chris's blog along the lines that the flexies (php,
python etc) get the job done. Adam Bosworth agrees:

http://www.adambosworth.net/archives/000031.html

--

ISCOC04 Talk
I gave a talk yesterday at the ICSOC04. It was essentially a reminder to

I’m sandwiched by smarter and more august speakers. Don Ferguson of IBM
builds edifices of such sophistication and elaboration as to daunt the
designers of the extraordinary archways of the Alhambra. Tim Berners Lee
created the web as we know it today and preaches a sort of religion
about the semantic web from his eerie at MIT that is totally over my
head. These are very smart gentlemen. One would be foolish to try to
appear smart when speaking between them. Accordingly, I’m going to take
the opposite tack. I’m going to talk about the virtues of KISS which
I’ll conveniently describe as keeping it simple and sloppy and its
effect on computing on the internet.

There has been, of course, an eternal tension between that part of
humanity which celebrates our diversity, imperfectability, and faults,
as part of the rich tapestry of the human condition and that part which
seeks to perfect itself, to control, to build complex codes and rules
for conduct which if zealously adhered to, guarantee an orderly
process.

This talk is about this conflict as it relates to computing on the
Internet. This talk is also a polemic in support of KISS. As such it is
unfair, opinionated, and perhaps even unconscionable. Indeed, at times
it will verge on a jeremiad.

It is an ironic truth that those who seek to create systems which most
assume the perfectibility of humans end up building the systems which
are most soul destroying and most rigid, systems that rot from within
until like great creaking rotten oak trees they collapse on top of
themselves leaving a sour smell and decay. We saw it happen in 1989 with
the astonishing fall of the USSR. Conversely, those systems which best
take into account the complex, frail, brilliance of human nature and
build in flexibility, checks and balances, and tolerance tend to survive
beyond all hopes.

So it goes with software. That software which is flexible, simple,
sloppy, tolerant, and altogether forgiving of human foibles and
weaknesses turns out to be actually the most steel cored, able to
survive and grow while that software which is demanding, abstract, rich
but systematized, turns out to collapse in on itself in a slow and grim
implosion.

Consider the spreadsheet. It is a protean, sloppy, plastic, flexible
medium that is, ironically, the despair of all accountants and auditors
because it is virtually impossible to reliably understand a truly
complex and rich spreadsheet. Lotus corporation (now IBM), filled with
Harvard MBA’s and PhD’s in CS from MIT, built Improv. Improv set out "to
fix all this". It was an auditors dream. It provided rarified heights of
abstraction, formalisms for rows and columns, and in short was truly
comprehensible. It failed utterly, not because it failed in its
ambitions but because it succeeded.

Consider search. I remember the first clunky demos that Microsoft
presented when Bill Gates first started to talk about Information at
your fingertips with their complex screens for entering search criteria
and their ability to handle Boolean logic. One of my own products,
Access had the seemingly easier Query by Example. Yet, today half a
billion people search every day and what do they use? Not Query by
Example. Not Boolean logic. They use a solution of staggering simplicity
and ambiguity, namely free text search. The engineering is hard, but the
user model is simple and sloppy.

Consider user interface. When HTML first came out it was unbelievably
sloppy and forgiving, permissive and ambiguous. I remember listening
many years ago to the head, then and now, of Microsoft Office, saying
contemptuously in 1995 that HTML would never succeed because it was so
primitive and that Word would win because Word documents were so rich
and controlled in their layout. Of course, HTML is today the basic
building block for huge swathes of human information. What is more, in
one of the unintended ironies of software history, HTML was intended to
be used as a way to provide a truly malleable plastic layout language
which never would be bound by 2 dimensional limitations, ironic because
hordes of CSS fanatics have been trying to bind it with straight jackets
ever since, bad mouthing tables and generations of tools have been
layering pixel precise 2 dimensional layout on top of it. And yet, ask
any gifted web author, like Jon Udell, and they will tell you that they
often use it in the lazy sloppy intuitive human way that it was designed
to work. They just pour in content. In 1996 I was at some of the initial
XML meetings. The participants’ anger at HTML for “corrupting” content
with layout was intense. Some of the initial backers of XML were
frustrated SGML folks who wanted a better cleaner world in which data
was pristinely separated from presentation. In short, they disliked one
of the great success stories of software history, one that succeeded
because of its limitations, not despite them. I very much doubt that an
HTML that had initially shipped as a clean layered set of content (XML,
Layout rules - XSLT, and Formatting- CSS) would have had anything like
the explosive uptake.

Now as it turns out I backed XML back in 1996, but as it turns out, I
backed it for exactly the opposite reason. I wanted a flexible relaxed
sloppy human way to share data between programs and compared to the
RPC's and DCOM's and IIOP's of that day, XML was an incredibly flexible
plastic easy going medium. It still is. And because it is, not despite
it, it has rapidly become the most widely used way to exchange data
between programs in the world. And slowly, but surely, we have seen the
other older systems, collapse, crumple, and descend towards irrelevance.

Consider programming itself. There is an unacknowledged war that goes on
every day in the world of programming. It is a war between the humans
and the computer scientists. It is a war between those who want simple,
sloppy, flexible, human ways to write code and those who want clean,
crisp, clear, correct ways to write code. It is the war between PHP and
C++/Java. It used to be the war between C and dBase. Programmers at the
level of those who attend Columbia University, programmers at the level
of those who have made it through the gauntlet that is Google
recruiting, programmers at the level of this audience are all people who
love precise tools, abstraction, serried ranks of orderly propositions,
and deduction. But most people writing code are more like my son. Code
is just a hammer they use to do the job. PHP is an ideal language for
them. It is easy. It is productive. It is flexible. Associative arrays
are the backbone of this language and, like XML, is therefore flexible
and self describing. They can easily write code which dynamically adapts
to the information passed in and easily produces XML or HTML. For them,
the important issue is the content and the community, not the
technology. How do they find the right RSS feeds? How do they enable a
community to collaborate, appoint moderators, and dynamically decide
whose posts can go through and whose should be reviewed? How do they
filter information by reputation? These are the issues that they worry
about, not the language.

In the same way, I see two diametrically opposed tendencies in the model
for exchanging information between programs today:

On the one hand we have RSS 2.0 or Atom. The documents that are based on
these formats are growing like a bay weed. Nobody really cares which one
is used because they are largely interoperable. Both are essentially
lists of links to content with interesting associated metadata. Both
enable a model for capturing reputation, filtering, stand-off
annotation, and so on. There was an abortive attempt to impose a rich
abstract analytic formality on this community under the aegis of RDF and
RSS 1.0. It failed. It failed because it was really too abstract, too
formal, and altogether too hard to be useful to the shock troops just
trying to get the job done. Instead RSS 2.0 and Atom have prevailed and
are used these days to put together talk shows and play lists
(podcasting) photo albums (Flickr), schedules for events, lists of
interesting content, news, shopping specials, and so on. There is a
killer app for it, Blogreaders/RSS Viewers. Anyone can play. It is
becoming the easy sloppy lingua franca by which information flows over
the web. As it flows, it is filtered, aggregated, extended, and even
converted, like water flowing from streams to rivers down to great
estuaries. It is something one can get directly using a URL over HTTP.
It takes one line of code in most languages to fetch it. It is a world
that Google and Yahoo are happily adjusting to, as media centric, as
malleable, as flexible and chaotic, and as simple and consumer-focused
as they are.

On the other hand we have the world of SOAP and WSDL and XML SCHEMA and
WS_ROUTING and WS_POLICY and WS_SECURITY and WS_EVENTING and
WS_ADDRESSING and WS_RELIABLEMESSAGING and attempts to formalize rich
conversation models. Each spec is thicker and far more complex than the
initial XML one. It is a world with which the IT departments of the
corporations are profoundly comfortable. It appears to represent
ironclad control. It appears to be auditable. It appears to be
controllable. If the world of RSS is streams and rivers and estuaries,
laden with silt picked up along the way, this is a world of Locks,
Concrete Channels, Dams and Pure Water Filters. It is a world for
experts, arcane, complex, and esoteric. The code written to process
these messages is so early bound that it is precompiled from the WSDL’s
and, as many have found, when it doesn't work, no human can figure out
why. The difference between HTTP, with its small number of simple verbs,
and this world with its innumerable layers which must be composed
together in Byzantine complexity cannot be overstated. It is, in short,
a world only IBM and MSFT could love. And they do.

On the one hand we have Blogs and Photo Albums and Event Schedules and
Favorites and Ratings and News Feeds. On the other we have CRM and ERP
and BPO and all sorts of enterprise oriented 3 letter acronyms.

As I said earlier, I remember listening many years ago to someone saying
contemptuously that HTML would never succeed because it was so
primitive. It succeeded, of course, precisely because it was so
primitive. Today, I listen to the same people at the same companies say
that XML over HTTP can never succeed because it is so primitive. Only
with SOAP and SCHEMA and so on can it succeed. But the real magic in XML
is that it is self-describing. The RDF guys never got this because they
were looking for something that has never been delivered, namely
universal truth. Saying that XML couldn’t succeed because the semantics
weren’t known is like saying that Relational Databases couldn’t succeed
because the semantics weren’t known or Text Search cannot succeed for
the same reason. But there is a germ of truth in this assertion. It was
and is hard to tell anything about the XML in a universal way. It is why
Infopath has had to jump through so many contorted hoops to enable easy
editing. By contrast, the RSS model is easy with an almost arbitrary set
of known properties for an item in a list such as the name, the
description, the link, and mime type and size if it is an enclosure. As
with HTML, there is just enough information to be useful. Like HTML, it
can be extended when necessary, but most people do it judiciously. Thus
Blogreaders and aggregators can effortlessly show the content and
understanding that the value is in the information. Oh yes, there is one
other difference between Blogreaders and Infopath. They are free. They
understand that the value is in the content, not the device.

RSS embodies a very simple proposition that Tim Berners Lee has always
held to be one of the most important and central tenets of his
revolution, namely that every piece of content can be addressed by a
URL. In the language of RSS we call these “PermaLinks”. This idea has
profound value. Dave Sifry of Technorati pointed out to me recently that
one of the most remarkable things about RSS and Web Logs (Blogs) is the
manner in which they have started to solve one of the most tragic things
about the web, namely the incivility of the discourse. The web, in many
ways, today represents a textbook example of the tragedy of the commons.
Because sending email is virtually free, we have spam. Because posting
messages is virtually free and anonymous, we have groups where a small
number of people can overwhelm the discussion with loud and senseless
chatter. But one of the values of being able to reference every element
is that now comments about elements can be distributed over the web. The
web becomes something like a giant room in which people comment on other
people’s thought via posts in their own Web Logs. In so doing they put
their reputation on the line. These are hardly cheap and anonymous
posts. They take up real estate in a place that is associated with your
own point of view and reputation. And thus the comments tend to be
measured, thoughtful, and judicious. Furthermore if they are not, either
you can decide that it is OK or you can opt out. It is like dueling
editorials in a pair of news papers.

By contrast, the rigid abstract layers of web service plumbing are all
anonymous, endless messages flowing through under the rubric of the same
URL. Unless they are logged, there is no accountability. Because they
are all different and since the spec that defines their grammar, XML
Schema, is the marriage of a camel to an elephant to a giraffe, only an
African naturalist could love these messages. They are far better, mind
you, than the MOM messages that preceded them. Since they are self
describing, it is possible to put dynamic filters in to reroute or
reshape them using XPATH and XSLT and XML Query and even other languages
all of which can easily detect whether the messages are relevant and if
so, where the interesting parts are. This is goodness. It is 21st
century. But the origination and termination points, wrapped in the
Byzantine complexity of JAX RPC or .NET are still frozen in the early
bound rigidity of the 20th.

I would like to say that we are at a crossroads, but the truth is never
so simple. The truth is that people use the tools that work for them.
Just as for some programmers the right tool is PHP and for others the
right tool is Java so it is true that for some programmers the right
tool is RSS and for others it is WS-*. There is no clear “winner” here.
What I am sure about is the volumes and the values. The value is in the
information and its ability to be effortlessly aggregated, evaluated,
filtered, and enhanced.

What does this mean to you? Think of the radio. When it was a novelty,
the real value was in the radio itself. There was relatively little
content, but lots of people wanted the radio. At a certain point,
however, radios got good enough and transmission got good enough and the
value ineluctably swung to the content. This is why the DRM fights are
so bitter, why PodCasting is so revolutionary, why Howard Stern was paid
so much to play on a private radio model. That’s where the value is. We
have arrived at the same point for computing. The value is neither in
the computers nor in the software that runs on them. It is in the
content and the software’s ability to find and filter content and in the
software’s ability to enable people to collaborate and communicate about
content (and each other). Who here really cares if Excel adds a new menu
item unless it is one that lets you more easily discover information on
the web, possibly update and interact with it or with others about it.

What about mobile phones. What do they mean? Is it really interesting to
have a spreadsheet or a power point on your mobile phone? Or is it more
interesting to know where the nearest ATM is, where is the nearest
Indian restaurant that your friends like, which are the CS books in the
store for a given course, which course has the best section person and
what its schedule is, or what the reviews of the books say. Is it really
interesting to have an address book that is synced to your PC or is it
more interesting to see the presence of the people who are involved in
your class, your project, your party plans, and be able to coordinate
and plan an event with them? And if it is the latter, then isn’t the
value really coming from the knowledge of with whom you are working,
socializing, and studying; what they think about things you care about
such as movies, classes, restaurants and news articles rather than the
software on the device itself? Isn’t the device really just a sort of
n-way radio/classified? Soon as you deliver context and content and
community and collaboration over the web, 2 billion people will be able
to see and interact with your solutions.

There is a lot of talk about Web 2.0. Many seem to assume that the
“second” web will be about rich intelligent clients who share
information across the web and deal with richer media (photos, sound,
video). There is no doubt that this is happening. Whether it is Skype or
our product Hello, or iTunes, people are increasingly plugging into the
web as a way to collaborate and share media. But I posit that this isn’t
the important change. It is glitzy, fun, entertaining, useful, but at
the end of the day, not profoundly new.

What has been new is information overload. Email long ago became a
curse. Blogreaders only exacerbate the problem. I can’t even imagine the
video or audio equivalent because it will be so much harder to filter
through. What will be new is people coming together to rate, to review,
to discuss, to analyze, and to provide 100,000 Zagat’s, models of trust
for information, for goods, and for services. Who gives the best buzz
cut in Flushing? We see it already in eBay. We see it in the importance
of the number of deals and the ratings for people selling used books on
Amazon. As I said in my blog,
“My mother never complains that she needs a better client for Amazon.
Instead, her interest is in better community tools, better book lists,
easier ways to see the book lists, more trust in the reviewers,
librarian discussions since she is a librarian, and so on”.
This is what will be new. In fact it already is. You want to see the
future. Don’t look at Longhorn. Look at Slashdot. 500,000 nerds coming
together everyday just to manage information overload. Look at
BlogLines. What will be the big enabler? Will it be Attention.XML as
Steve Gillmor and Dave Sifry hope? Or something else less formal and
more organic? It doesn’t matter. The currency of reputation and judgment
is the answer to the tragedy of the commons and it will find a way. This
is where the action will be. Learning Avalon or Swing isn’t going to
matter. Machine learning and inference and data mining will. For the
first time since computers came along, AI is the mainstream.

I find this deeply satisfying. It says that in the end the value is in
our humanity, our diversity, our complexity, and our ability to learn to
collaborate. It says that it is the human side, the flexible side, the
organic side of the Web that is going to be important and not the dry
and analytic and taxonomical side, not the systematized and rigid and
stratified side that will matter.

In the end, I am profoundly encouraged and hopeful that the growth on
the web is one which is slowly improving the civility and tenor of
discourse. Just as Porn seems to be an unpleasant leading user of
technology, so does crude and vituperative communication seem to be a
pattern for early adopters and it is a relief to see that forms of
governance, trust and deliberation are now emerging.

There are those who will say that all this is utopian. If Utopian means
not being afraid to dream, then indeed it is. So was Tim’s initial
vision of universal access to information. So is Google’s mission. T.E
Lawrence wrote in the Seven Pillars of Wisdom,

“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty
recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but
the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream
with open eyes, to make it possible”

I encourage all of you to act your dreams with open eyes. I encourage
all of you to dream of an internet that enables people to work together,
to communicate, to collaborate, and to discover. I encourage all of you
to remember, that in the long run, we are all human and, as you add
value, add it in ways that are simple, flexible, sloppy, and, in the
end, everything that the Platonists in you abhor.

Ditesh