Re: [ossig] Re: [myoss] For MyOSS: Electronic Filing of Tax Returnin Malaysia

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 16:36 +0800, Dinesh Nair wrote:

> On 02/23/06 15:43 Ditesh Kumar said the following:
> > The community would certainly be glad to help, but other then MDC with
> > their CC initiative and getting community/public feedback, there has
>
> when asked about the MSC's open source policy at an industry dialogue on
> Monday, the new MDC CEO clearly stated that they do not have any open
> source specific policy or initiatives and that there wont be one. he
> clearly delineated that their CC policy was not relevant to any open source
> policy.

Well the FOSS community clearly shares MDC's drive with CC in
collabration and enriching the commons. CC is more then just FOSS (as it
is not software specific) and as such his position is understandable.
However, they did take the trouble to ask for interested parties, of
which FOSS members in Malaysia are very much so, to attend. That we
attended in itself speaks volumes.

> MAMPU has called for a public dialogue on the The Malaysian Public Sector
> Open Source Software Initiative, but only a very small number[1] from the
> community attended. there were more proprietary software lobbyists at that
> event than there were open source people.
>
> as such, they have tried to engage but the community did not respond to the
> engagement.

On the contrary, we /did/ respond but were categorically not invited to
the event, which very clearly speaks poorly for MAMPU. It does not do to
call for a public dialogue on FOSS, have the community members register
but not get invited, and hold the event with a large number of
participants with non-FOSS intentions in mind attend (or so I hear
happened at the event).

If MAMPU truly wanted community dialogue, they should not have excluded
members of the community, in particular active members, who wished to
participate. That is not engagement, that is getting snubbed.

Ditesh