Re: [ossig] Open source community needs a haircut and to dress for success? Should I loose my Kurtas (long asian shirts), Jeans and Sandals

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I sincerely feel Richard Stallman needs a shave and a haircut if he's going to try to get his message across to the suits and ties in the corporate world.

That and some manners in not scratching his feet and showing his smelly socks to a lady sitting next to him.

Other than these, I think he's a fine person at the event in UM last year.

I do feel appearance does matter, maybe not to everyone, but certainly to some people that think it matters.

Nobody will ever find fault with you externally for being well dressed and clean shaven/cut, so more or less you've taken down the first barrier in trying to get your message across.

But when you show up looking like an unkempt druggie hippy, you really can't blame the corporate guys for not taking you seriously, they've already shut their minds off because of the first impression and whatever you said afterwards won't go through to their head anymore.

I feel one must know how to play the psychology game as well if one wants to get their message across, and being clean shaven and having a decent haircut is one. (I am not even asking one to suit up)