Re: [ossig] Open source community needs a haircut and to dress forsuccess? Should I loose my Kurtas (long asian shirts), Jeans and Sandals

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 00:51 +0800, jason chong wrote:
> That and some manners in not scratching his feet and showing his
> smelly socks to a lady sitting next to him.

I never did ask the lady you speak of whether she found rms offensive,
but I do know that she graciously invited him to speak in her
organization as well as inviting him and rest of us for tea. If you feel
she was alienated by his actions, her actions prove you wrong.

> I feel one must know how to play the psychology game as well if one
> wants to get their message across, and being clean shaven and having a
> decent haircut is one. (I am not even asking one to suit up)

I think the problems are way more fundamental then just grooming - (a)
foss'ers tend to not want to talk to business people even when given the
opportunity (b) foss'ers don't want to accept how business people think,
i.e. it's a clash of "how do i write the most sexy app" vs "how do i
maximize revenue" (c) so many foss'ers pretty much excel in the NATO
philosophy.

What's required to get your message across is:

a) Clarity of thought, arguments and actions
b) Persistence and hardwork

rms and the fsf has gotten so far because they have articulated their
arguments very well and have stuck to spreading the message and
relentlessly fighting the good fight. would they have spread their
message better if stallman had decided not to scratch his feet in
public? looking at his success, i'm going to vote with no.

at last week's twn meeting, i spoke with members of the crowd (non-tech,
non-foss people) and they clearly remembered stallman and what he stood
for, and even supported his movement despite one of them getting into a
heated argument with him (the basis of the argument is a pretty humorous
story, come to the meetup next week and i'll tell you :-).

as a classic counter example to your post, read up on many documented
cases of shockingly bad hygiene of one of the best business person in
the software industry.

Ditesh