Re: [ossig] Open source community needs a haircut and to dress for success? Should I loose my Kurtas (long asian shirts), Jeans and Sandals

On Thursday 30 March 2006 15:26, Khairil Yusof wrote:

> Enjoying Sydney mate? :)

Not bad, not bad.

> As the threads here are going wild, it's a cool topic that generates a
> lot of hits (and revenue).
>
> The way Peter Quinn approached ODF and Open Standards was really good,
> the guy knows how to play the game. It's great that you can talk to him
> in person.

Yeah, like I said, he's a cool cat. His presentation mainly covered the steps
Mass. took in going towards ODF (and it's all pragmatic) and why he left his
post (because the publicity is making it hard for his department to do
*other* things -- after all, nobody died in the ODF thing). He also said that
he's going to stop speaking engagements soon because he doesn't want to end
up being a "talking head".

I asked him whether he's enjoying being a bit of a celebrity, and he replied
something to effect that it still costs him $1.75 for a doughnut and a cup of
coffee at Dunkin'.

The guy's not afraid to speak his mind, though. He comes across to me a bit
like an old veteran soldier who's been there, done that, got the t-shirt, so
what? kinda guy.

He *might* make a trip to Malaysia some day, btw.

yusseri