Re: [ossig] Open source community needs a haircut and to dress forsuccess?Should I loose my Kurtas (long asian shirts), Jeans and Sandals

On 03/30/06 14:31 Choong Hong Cheng said the following:
> Just wondering why this thread generate so much responds compare with
> other thread ? Should we end this discussion ASAP instead of dragging it
> with so much responds ?

that has been the hallmark of the local open source community. too much
time is spent evangelizing and talking about religious concepts, with not
an effort put towards narrowing the chasm of perception between the
mainstream establishment and the movement. they seem to be more interested
to berate the establishment for not seeing it their way than in finding a
way to approach the establishment which would cause them to sit up and listen.

the very nature of this thread and how it evolves speaks volumes. defenders
of the long hair and sandal crowd emerged, all beating their chests in
rage. no one however suggested a compromise in how the community and the
movement is to approach government.

i've long spoken out about this in this community, but each time i said so
previously, there were enough detractors who lost the message and took
offence. well, this is how things have become. you've all earned it.

the end result is, government makes policy and in countries like malaysia,
government procurement policies drive the industry. if government is not
courted or addressed in a proper manner, they'll just ignore the open
source community (as i believe they already have), and listen to other
lobbying groups speaking about other things in a much more government
friendly and approachable manner. things like IPR, patents and uniformity
of software.

the end is nigh.