Re: [ossig] Open source community needs a haircut and to dress forsuccess? Should I loose my Kurtas (long asian shirts), Jeans and Sandals

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 21:42 +0800, Dinesh Nair wrote:

> have you recanted your stand on this ? you used to get very incensed and
> flame me each time i brought (c) up. saying "i told you so" seems so sweet. :)

What I said was that in the current generation of foss folk, there are
those among us to stand up when it is required of them (you know who you
are), when you were insisting that oss community in .my is absolutely
and completely (please pardon my french) fscked.

Yes, it is truly sorry and disturbing to see so many of us who just
couldn't be bothered to put in the effort to further the cause when
multiple opportunities have presented themselves, and instead choosing
to spend that time to long threads on this mailing list which make no
change in the real world. Discussions at AsiaOSS with participants
across the Asian region indicated that this is not a Malaysian-only
problem.

But, while that's the bad news, the good news is that the small but
dedicated group of people have proven their worth by putting in the
time, effort, energy and money in furthering the cause.

So no, satisfaction via a "i told you so" would still be premature at
this point.

> you're all missing the point. the issue isnt about dressing styles or

No, that was exactly what I was driving at, that focusing on dressing
styles is missing the real issue all together.

As for bridging the chasm, I believe that's why the open source
terminology was introduced.

Too bad Eric Raymond decided to start use that to further his personal
vendetta against rms (and thus, the fsf movement as well as the gpl
license).

The rest of the open source folk completely agree with the philosophy of
free software, they just wanted to bridge the chasm by distilling the
message into language that the non-tech folk understand.

Ditesh