Re: [ossig] Open source community needs a haircut and to dress forsuccess?Should I loose my Kurtas (long asian shirts), Jeans and Sandals

Dinesh Nair wrote:

> On 03/30/06 14:31 Choong Hong Cheng said the following:
>
>> Just wondering why this thread generate so much responds compare with
>> other thread ? Should we end this discussion ASAP instead of dragging
>> it with so much responds ?
>

> that has been the hallmark of the local open source community. too
> much time is spent evangelizing and talking about religious concepts,
> with not an effort put towards narrowing the chasm of perception
> between the mainstream establishment and the movement. they seem to be
> more interested to berate the establishment for not seeing it their
> way than in finding a way to approach the establishment which would
> cause them to sit up and listen.
>
> the very nature of this thread and how it evolves speaks volumes.
> defenders of the long hair and sandal crowd emerged, all beating their
> chests in rage. no one however suggested a compromise in how the
> community and the movement is to approach government.
>
> i've long spoken out about this in this community, but each time i
> said so previously, there were enough detractors who lost the message
> and took offence. well, this is how things have become. you've all
> earned it.
>
> the end result is, government makes policy and in countries like
> malaysia, government procurement policies drive the industry. if
> government is not courted or addressed in a proper manner, they'll
> just ignore the open source community (as i believe they already
> have), and listen to other lobbying groups speaking about other things
> in a much more government friendly and approachable manner. things
> like IPR, patents and uniformity of software.
>
> the end is nigh.

You can't express it better Dinesh. Not only that some members of the
open source community even go out of their way to be judgemental of
others work as well. Though I had been more or less told that I don't
belong to the local open source community (or forgotten) I was told by
several others especially those providing services to Govt the same.
Why? This exclusive and unfriendly attitude does not go well to develop
and expand a vibrant community. They can't take criticism either. Often
I see glum unwelcoming faces when we meet.

Molly