Re: [ossig] Open source community needs a haircut and to dress forsuccess?Should I loose my Kurtas (long asian shirts), Jeans and Sandals

These threads always seem to end up bashing the community.  Are we at
fault here?  Some would say yes, others would argue no.  Khairil Yusof
brought up a good point with comparisons on physical apperance.
Apperance is only an illusion of a persons true intent.  I blame the
people in suits for judging FOSS people without knowing better, and I
also blame the community for at least trying to appear non-engaging.
But I applaud the works of them ( especially RMS ) in keeping their
values and what they believe in.  If your a person of slippers and long
hair, then so be it, at least their not trying to fake what they are not.

There are folk who have gone out of their way to *continually* discredit
the work the community has done but who have never contributed in any
meaningful way, and as a natural result, I suppose some of us prefer to
forget of their existence.

There are others on this mailing list, who while pointing out how the
community can improve in engagement, have worked their asses off to
fight the cause. These people have earned the respect of many, myself
included, and we have always taken their advice into consideration,
painful as that advice may be.

Molly Cheah wrote:
>> On 03/30/06 14:31 Choong Hong Cheng said the following:
> You can't express it better Dinesh. Not only that some members of the
> open source community even go out of their way to be judgemental of
> others work as well. Though I had been more or less told that I don't
> belong to the local open source community (or forgotten) I was told by
> several others especially those providing services to Govt the same.
> Why? This exclusive and unfriendly attitude does not go well to develop
> and expand a vibrant community. They can't take criticism either. Often
> I see glum unwelcoming faces when we meet.

Maybe Molly, you should know better then me that it's truly hard to
accept criticism from those who criticize but who has never offered help
or get involved in any meaningful way in community activities.
ditesh|cassini Unwelcoming faces? Sorry, but if you're unpopular, there
must be a reason. Suck it up.