Re: [ossig] Open source community needs a haircut and todress forsuccess? Should I loose my Kurtas (long asian shirts), Jeans andSandals

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 11:28 +0800, Molly Cheah wrote:
> Interesting to know criticism=discredit. Please quote what I had
> actually said that had been intepreted as discrediting the "work of the

We all understand the difference between criticism and discredit. Please
do not misrepresent what was written.

I find it interesting that you thought I was referring to you. A guilty
conscience, perhaps?

> community". Yes, I have mentioned to "friends" at coffee breaks that I
> find the local community had not met the expectations users like myself
> and that there is a "disconnection" between the community and other
> stakeholders.

First of all Molly, let me clarify a VERY important point to you. The
community does not exist to fulfill *your* expectations. That's an
extremely condenscending attitude.

We do work to fulfill *our* expectations. We have finite resources and
we work where we operate best. To that end, the work continues.

Now, if you don't like the work that we do and if you feel there's a
disconnect, do something about it for crying out loud, instead of
whining.

> At meetings, conferences forums etc. when discussions centre on
> weaknesses and problems of moving open source onto the bigger agenda, I
> have quoted MAMPU's report that there is the fear that there may not be
> able to meet the support and maintenance needs of  would-be adopters of OSS.

Ok, glad that you have recognized it as an issue.

So what have you done or what are you going to do about it? Who among us
have you approached with a coherent plan to do something about it? Where
have you outlined an agenda? How many people have you called to your
meetings to address this issue? Nobody I know was invited, so perhaps
this just between you and your "friends".

Or perhaps this is just more NATO bits and bytes on the wastelands of
cyberspace.

I'd stick with what Mr. Occam tells me.

> I really would like to know what I said is low.

You really would, wouldn't you?

Ditesh