Re: [ossig] Open source community needs a haircut and to dress forsuccess? Should I loose my Kurtas (long asian shirts), Jeans and Sandals

OK didn't realize this thread has degenerated into this.

I am going to say something as simple as possible and hope everyone give some thoughts on it.

Remember, I have no problems with how people wanna dress or look, as I personally go out in sandals and faggoty looking shirts that no chicks will wanna be seen with, but, I try to see things from other people's perspective, who may not have the same values as us.

You may think outlook of a person is not important, but hey, look, this is the real world we live in, and our opinions, may not matter to everyone.

If you want someone to listen to your side badly, then you'll have to at least make a compromise. You'll have to understand and see things from their values/point of view.

After all, they're the ones in power, and can make very influential decisions. If they don't take you seriously because of the way you dress, then it's a fact that they don't have the same values/understanding from your stand.

You can argue for the whole day that sandals and clothes and being ungroomed and unkempt has no bearing on your intellect, but hey, as i said, what you or me think , does not matter. If you need that person more than they need you and you can't convince him to listen to you, that's your loss.

The attire/grooming is just an example but not the key issue, the key issue here is, you've got to be able to see things from their point of view, and compromise a little. Everyone wants to be in a win win situation.

When I go see my customers, I wouldn't dress in hawaiian style or faggoty looking shirts or sandals even though I would love to, but as a sign of respect and a compromise, and also because I need my clients money (or need them to listen to me) I have to do what's right and proper, I dress formal with a tie. (Though I suck at doing a proper V knot)

It's like when you go into someone's house, if their rules say to take off the shoes, then you show the respect and take off your shoes before you walk in, or else you don't get invited.

As I said again, what you or me thinks, does not matter, because they don't need us as much as we need them to listen to us.

Please don't turn this into another flame bait.