Re: [ossig] Open source community needs a haircut and to dress forsuccess? Should I loose my Kurtas (long asian shirts), Jeans and Sandals

Yes I agree with you that we need to compromise but is your choice to do it. You have a choice. Open Source movement is not about

"When I go see my customers, I wouldn't dress in hawaiian style or faggoty looking shirts or sandals even though I would love to, but as a sign of respect and a compromise, and also because I need my clients money (or need them to listen to me) I have to do what's right and proper, I dress formal with a tie. (Though I suck at doing a proper V knot) " - From Jason Choong.

Is about how a group of people around the world work together to develop softwares. It doesn't have any business influence in it. So why does it matter if we wear a tie or not or even see customer ?

Open Source is about serving each other in their own way. Is an art of the programmer where we express our creation in form of software development.

Now the hot trend is the commercial open source solution ... which need to have business influence and yes during that time you need to wear your tie etc but again will you be in the sales and marketing team ? or the guy behind the computer developing solutions ? or even the integrator in the solution delivery team

So to Jason, I would guess you are at the commercial open source provider compare with a geek that only want to express out his/her creation to the world. Whatever we are doing now is form of expression of our self. You need to wear tie to win customer and to expand your business. For some is different point of view like you said.

So we cann't really conclude that wear in suit nicely is suitable for Open Source movement. Each and every group in Open Source has it's uniqueness. Some are towards commercial values, some are purely research or even some are form of art. Open Source movement has such variety compare with commercial software development. Think about it for a second guys, we should be happy we have such movements ... such varieties and choices.