Re: [ossig] Open source community needs a haircut and to dress forsuccess? Should I loose my Kurtas (long asian shirts), Jeans and Sandals

We are all salesmen, whether we like it or not. We sell ourselves in many ways.

It has got nothing to do with if we're geeks or coders or not.

It all has to do with, do you need them more than they need you ?

Do you want to be taken seriously?

And do you value the audience you're trying to communicate your message to ?

It's all about tearing down the barriers between 2 people trying to communicate, regardless of their job scopes.

I code for my customers, and I also double as a salesperson when I meet them personally.

I will feel awkward dressing in T-shirts and sandals when presenting my application presentation to a board of suits.

If enough of them are bothered by the way I dress, their mind will shut off and may not take me seriously.

I need their money so I can't afford to have any unnecessary barriers in communicating to them.

Yes, maybe in the some parts of the world, most people don't care about the way you dress or anything.

But there're also in some parts of the world (Malaysia for one) where people in power, are shallow but they do yield the power to make influential decisions. So the ball is in your court, can you afford to have them shut their minds out on you when you need them more than they need you ?