Re: [ossig] Open source community needs a haircut and to dress forsuccess? Should I loose my Kurtas (long asian shirts), Jeans and Sandals

Even if they don't care about governments, they still care if people use their software. If not, what's the purpose of writing a software that nobody uses? Even if it's free, you still need to 'sell' it to the 'users'.

An advocate still has to convince a person to agree with his point of views.

You are arguing on the technical terms of sales.

I do not limit the scope of sales in areas where there're commercial/financial benefits.

Everything we do in our lives involve some form of sales.

Trying to convince a girl why she should go out with you, why you're the better person for her, and convincing her to be your wife eventually, it's all sales. :-)

It's getting people to listen, agree and compromise so a mutual benefit can be achieved. It's a form of sales.

If one fail to see that point, then one is doomed to fail in advocacy, negotiation, etc.

OSS movement needs, and probably has sales people, whether the movement realizes it or not, whether the sales people are commercial or not, the point is, you need to sell your opinion/believes why your movement is the better option, or else there is no such thing as OSS advocacy.

We cannot run away from that fact. Disagree or agree, it does not change anything, as it involves 2 sides, buyer, and seller.

What we do know is, a good salesperson is someone who listens to his customers needs, instead of using only the  hard-selling approach.