Re: [ossig] Open source community needs a haircut and to dress forsuccess?Should I loose my Kurtas (long asian shirts), Jeans and Sandals

Colin Charles wrote:

> Molly Cheah wrote:
>
> Hi Molly,
>
>> Interesting to know criticism=discredit. Please quote what I had
>> actually said that had been intepreted as discrediting the "work of
>> the community". Yes, I have mentioned to "friends" at coffee breaks
>> that I find the local community had not met the expectations users
>> like myself and that there is a "disconnection" between the community
>> and other stakeholders.
>

> As a member of the "local" community, I take to that statement in
> offense.

Sorry you took offence. That's my views. My area of interest is
healthcare. That disconnection statement was made at a workshop session
in relation to training. It probably got repeated by the 15-20 people in
the room attending the workshop.

> I believe I have helped users, like yourself, make a switch to open
> source, and have a more comfortable life. I've hacked on
> OpenOffice.org in the past. I hack on Fedora Core in the present. I
> work on MySQL on a daily basis (yes, the M in LAMP).

Thanks for coming over to help the industrial training students on
attachment learn open office. I was not present then, was I?

> I believe to some degree, you use some of the above for your daily
> work. Have I not met your expectations as a user, and what
> "disconnection" is it that you talk about?

The context I was referring to when I use the word "disconnection" was
in the training/capacity building workshop at the 7th Asian OSS. We were
discussing the current weaknesses and the roles of different people and
organisation in training/capacity building.

> Now, the only thing I can think about you needing more help from the
> community, to make there be less of a "disconnection" is help with
> your open source software, PrimaCare, for e-clinic management. This
> won an MNCC award for excellence in ICT, back in 2004. On the awards
> page, its described as:
>
>     "PCDOM PrimaCare has a commendable level of sophistication with
> screens for clinic management, patient care, financial management,
> pharmacy management, billings, scheduling and resource library. The
> software has been released for use to 50 doctors. The software also
> has the potential for further development which certainly will
> encourage wider usage especially if doctors become more ICT-savvy."

In case you would like to know,we did a major re-engineering on
PrimaCare last year. PrimaCare is still for doctors only and they get
the 4 freedoms when we deploy to them.

> You won that in the Open Source Software category. I then browsed your
> website to find no form of course code, whatsoever (there's a demo
> though, kudos for it). Was the source for PrimaCare available 2 years
> ago when you won the /Open Source Software/ ICT Excellence award, and
> now removed?

Source codes were given to users only and they can do whatever they like
with it. They were never made available for free downloads. They were
made available freely to doctors only. Based on what we tell them, they
said we qualified. In fact we did not even apply on our own accord for
the award, we were asked to apply because there were people who knew we
had a good project.

> This clearly defeats what the OSI says in its definition of open
> source. I'd like to see if I can help, and I'm sure budding MYOSSers
> (aka the local community) will too. But there's one outstanding
> question...

I didn't even know OSI exit when I worked on PrimaCare and our
objectives for PrimaCare was not meeting the objectives of OSI. Sorry
about that. We are working with students at one of the universities, but
making arrangements with more universities.

>  Where's the source, Molly?

The source codes were given to the doctors who received PrimaCare, they
had the liberty to modify the codes, and do what they like with it,
including the right to give it to anyone. I believe the doctors would
only give to other doctors and that's their right. Do I get the 4
freedoms right Colin? I was taught that myself by open source gurus. We
believe that we can exercise our freedom to give to whoever we choose
too. I know that's the crux of unhappiness among some people.... Sorry
about that. It's not purely my decision.

Molly