Re: [ossig] Open source community needs a haircut and to dress forsuccess? Should I loose my Kurtas (long asian shirts), Jeans and Sandals

On 04/01/06 00:04 Ditesh Kumar said the following:
> are), when you were insisting that oss community in .my is absolutely
> and completely (please pardon my french) fscked.

heh, changing what i said does not make it go away. you're assuming that i
said "absolutely and completely". for all intents and purposes, the very,
very small group who are putting in the effort has been ineffectual that
it's as close to being "absolutely and completely fscked" as you put it.

part of that reason, in my opinion, has been that the efforts put in place
are misdirected into activities which bring no discernable results, thus
wasting the productivity of the few who were willing to commit time and sweat.

take this thread for example, the time spent thinking up responses to
berate and chest beat the suits could have been better spent thinking up a
different approach methodology with the suits to better bridge the current
low perception government has of open source.

if you're so inclined, of course.

so end result is, nothing happens and the "i told you so" is deserved. :)

> So no, satisfaction via a "i told you so" would still be premature at
> this point.

i think not, but hey since i'm the one deriving said satisfaction, that's
your opinion. it truly is sweet when you're flamed and your flamer then
recants later on.

bloody good weekend this has turned out to be, with arsenal winning 2-0 at
juventus mid-week and 5-0 against aston villa yesterday. and that too with
a very young team who've shown the world that they're more than ready to
exceed the heights which their older peers have scaled. that's progress and
a solid message that "the future's so bright, i gotta wear shades".

> The rest of the open source folk completely agree with the philosophy of
> free software, they just wanted to bridge the chasm by distilling the
> message into language that the non-tech folk understand.

exactly, so all this chest beating about "freedom" and the great prophet
RMS is just religious fundamentalism which awes a bunch of geeks and wins
you brownie points among the long hair and sandals crowd, but certainly not
anyone in a position to influence change or make the changes needed for the
movement to flourish. they are too afraid of the militancy shown.

those people are listening to hugo boss suits tell them about why
intellectual property increases innovation and that software patents are
definitely a good thing for malaysia and that how they'll help the
malaysian government and the ICT industry progress stratospherically.

quod erat demonstratum.