Re: [ossig] Open source community needs a haircut and to dress forsuccess? Should I loose my Kurtas (long asian shirts), Jeans and Sandals

On 4/1/06, Colin Charles <byte@aeon.com.my> wrote:
> Even the free software definition
> (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) mentions that I (or anyone)
> should be able to access the source, no matter where I am ("anyone
> anywhere").

Not interested in the rest of this flame fest, but this part is wrong.
Even the page linked to mentions nothing about "anyone anywhere"
_downloading_ the source. It says you should be free to _redistribute_
to "anyone anywhere". This is a very bad distortion of the meaning of
the page.

The entire page talks about the rights of the users, not Joe Schmoe
off the street. Until you are actually using the code, you have no
rights. You may interpret the usage of the demo as usage, but this is
a grey area. Even the GPL v2, the best legal implementation of the FSF
philosophy to date, requires that you have the binary and leaves web
users out in the cold.

It's great that we're clarifying what makes something OSS or FS, but
let's not confuse things up :)

Ken

/me flees back into the shadows before the great flame monster catches him