Re: [ossig] Open source community needs a haircut and to dress forsuccess?Should I loose my Kurtas (long asian shirts), Jeans and Sandals

Dinesh Nair wrote:

>> How can it be open source, and be for doctors only? By the Open Source
>> Definition (http://opensource.org/docs/definition.php), you are
>> violating Article 5, and possibly Article 6.
>
> i think that even the GPL says that you have to give source along with
> binaries to the people you distribute and then give them the same
> rights. it doesnt say you have to give source to /anyone/.

Right, I took this a little too far, and retract that.

I'm just curious to know why something that's deemed open source
software, winning an open source award, has not been freely distributed
to those asking for it? Discriminating against profession is not open
source friendly, imho

I just have one question: should you be calling your software open
source, when you've taken bits and pieces from the FS/OSS world, made
modifications, added more code and released it to only a certain few
people? The rest of us can never try the binaries or even see the
source?[1] Oh and to boot, there exists no open source license, anywhere.

> and if you're defining distribution as "use of the software in the
> demo", i'd like to hear what you think about google who've used and
> modified open source software (some of which are GPLed) and have not
> given out source for these modifications[1].
>
> [1] under the current regime they dont have to, since distribution didnt
> occur

Good thing Google has never advertised themselves to be an "open source
search engine", eh?

[1] - Play the EnterpriseDB way, and say "open source based" or
"Bringing the open source advantage to <foo>"