Re: [ossig] mobile linux

On 4/14/06, Ditesh Kumar <ditesh@gathani.org> wrote:
> So, powerwise, how well would a linux-based pda work compared to a palm
> pda at this point in time? Naturally, there are various fudging factors
> but normalizing for a specific feature set and utility (take your pick,
> I'm not fussy), how far does the kernel still have to go? Presumably its
> the same for mobile phones?

By coincidence, the Linux Power Management summit is happening as we speak.
http://linux-pm.org/summit/overview

They have a general list of issues that the community is trying to
resolve. I hope that addresses a portion of your question:

I'll try to give a quick answer to "how far the linux kernel has to
go". I just posted power management support for cs5535audio this week.
I'd guess that most other boards will be in similar situations. I'd
guestimate that 25%-50% of the devices on most boards don't yet have
power management support. Of course, if a vendor announces a linux
product from the onset itself, such as the Motorola A780 or the Nokia
N770, then typically, those boards have full low level power
management support. In that case, 0 distance to go.

> How do other free operating systems fare in this regard?

Good question. I've only worked with Linux so I don't know. I too
would like to know how other OSes are doing. Perhaps the BSD
enthusiasts on the list would care to address this question.

Best regards,
jayakumar

ps: Happy New Year. தமிழ் புத்தாண்டு வாழ்த்துக்கள்