Re: [ossig] Roundtable on Intellectual Property Right Cooperation Between Malaysia and the US

jason chong wrote:

> This is serious shit. If and when ever Malaysia signs an FTA with the
> USA, that will be the day software patents are allowed.
>
> 1. We know the USA will NEVER budge on this issue.
> 2. We know Malaysia wants an FTA with the USA.

Uuh, I don't want to start a flame war and even less enter a sensitive
political arena; but AFAIK, with the FTA on the horizon something else
will also have to be changed on the request of the US: NEP/NDP.

No need to go into detail, but FTA includes 'free' exchange of services
and stuff; that is, e.g. supply contracts and possibly government
initiated building works. I better stop here, hoping that all
authorities involved are aware of the consequences.

Uwe