Re: [ossig] Roundtable on Intellectual Property Right Cooperation Between Malaysia and the US

Actually, from the feedback I gather from people I know, this is exactly what some people are hoping will happen.

There're people who're very pro-FTA with the USA precisely because they believe it will put a stop to monopoly, patronage/rent-seeking behaviour in Malaysia and others, including the deregulation of the automobile industry, eventually leading to cheaper and affordable private transportation. The National Automative Policy is the biggest sore points of many Malaysians. It will be a dream come true if the FTA can demolish this burden the people had to put with for over 2 decades. The ridiculous state of the broadband /internet is also another issue that will be fixed with the FTA. Last mile will truly be opened and Malaysia has to comply, instead of depending on the joke we have now called tmnet/streamyx, and the non-functioning committee called the mcmc with the recent DIGI fiasco of being denied 3G license.

Our software industry is so small that most of the common people don't give a rats ass about it. The reputation of our government is so low, and confidence/morale of the people are at all times low after decades of abuses by those in power. We hardly produce anything our own or any innovative software solutions that warrants sacrificing the benefits of what the FTA may bring to the country over freedom to software development or software in general. The economy is not even dependent on opensource at the moment that it would never feel the pinch to not have the freedom.

The majority may actually view the FTA with USA as a GOOD THING, even if it means having to sacrifice something such as putting up with software patents. In other words, we're probably in so much shit as it is now, that going with the FTA is like choosing the lesser of the 2 evils.

In their opinion, they feel it's better to be dominated/colonized by highly EFFICIENT corporate MNCs than being ripped off by inefficient government linked companies and putting up with NEP/NDP and corruption, cronyism.

We're gonna have a tough fight on this one. The average Malaysian will probably not be interested in software patents or whatever patents because in their eyes, the immediate benefits from being 'colonized' far outweights having to put up with inefficient GLCs and institutionalized racism status quo and rampant corruption/monopoly. The people are most likely not going to look at the implications in the long term. Short term gains are what most Malaysians are used to in their principle of life, from human relationships to business.