Re: [ossig] Roundtable on Intellectual Property Right CooperationBetween Malaysia and the US

jason chong wrote:
> Actually, from the feedback I gather from people I know, this is exactly
> what some people are hoping will happen.
>
> There're people who're very pro-FTA with the USA precisely because they
> believe it will put a stop to monopoly, patronage/rent-seeking behaviour
> in Malaysia and others, including the deregulation of the automobile
> industry, eventually leading to cheaper and affordable private
> transportation. The National Automative Policy is the biggest sore
> points of many Malaysians. It will be a dream come true if the FTA can
> demolish this burden the people had to put with for over 2 decades. The
> ridiculous state of the broadband /internet is also another issue that
> will be fixed with the FTA. Last mile will truly be opened and Malaysia
> has to comply, instead of depending on the joke we have now called
> tmnet/streamyx, and the non-functioning committee called the mcmc with
> the recent DIGI fiasco of being denied 3G license.
>
> Our software industry is so small that most of the common people don't
> give a rats ass about it. The reputation of our government is so low,
> and confidence/morale of the people are at all times low after decades
> of abuses by those in power. We hardly produce anything our own or any
> innovative software solutions that warrants sacrificing the benefits of
> what the FTA may bring to the country over freedom to software
> development or software in general. The economy is not even dependent on
> opensource at the moment that it would never feel the pinch to not have
> the freedom.
>
> The majority may actually view the FTA with USA as a GOOD THING, even if
> it means having to sacrifice something such as putting up with software
> patents. In other words, we're probably in so much shit as it is now,
> that going with the FTA is like choosing the lesser of the 2 evils.
>
> In their opinion, they feel it's better to be dominated/colonized by
> highly EFFICIENT corporate MNCs than being ripped off by inefficient
> government linked companies and putting up with NEP/NDP and corruption,
> cronyism.
>
> We're gonna have a tough fight on this one. The average Malaysian will
> probably not be interested in software patents or whatever patents
> because in their eyes, the immediate benefits from being 'colonized' far
> outweights having to put up with inefficient GLCs and institutionalized
> racism status quo and rampant corruption/monopoly. The people are most
> likely not going to look at the implications in the long term. Short
> term gains are what most Malaysians are used to in their principle of
> life, from human relationships to business.
>
> On 4/21/06, *Uwe Dippel* <udippel@uniten.edu.my
> <mailto:udippel@uniten.edu.my>> wrote:
>

>     Uuh, I don't want to start a flame war and even less enter a sensitive
>     political arena; but AFAIK, with the FTA on the horizon something else
>     will also have to be changed on the request of the US: NEP/NDP.

Well its nice to see that my blog article is circulating around.

Software Patents are important to us, but they are not /everything/.
Think about patents in the pharmaceutical industry and the generics ( (
cheap, as in price, medicine for combatting aids ) they are producing.
Malaysia is paying a huge subsidy on medicine already, and if the FTA
passes through, I do not think Malaysia can carry the burden any further
and will pass on the higher prices to the consumer.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the FTA does effect other parts of your
life.  If you want to talk to your friends about it, discuss them about
things they can relate to such as medicine.  Think about how the DMCA
works and everything.  Read the EFF "Unintended Consequences: Seven
years under DMCA" (
http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/?f=unintended_consequences.html ).

Quickly jot them down:
* Restriction of research and freedom of speech
* Destroys competition
* Lawsuits to innocent individuals

Of course there is more

How about getting them to consider the fact that most, if not all, of
Malaysia's ICT infrastructure is built on foreign software.

My suggestions is just to try to relate to them how this can effect them
personally. We will fight them on the front that we know best.

Cheers,
Aizat

--
aizat faiz: sleep to the power of z. -_-;;^zzz
strange symphonies - http://aizatto.com/

Malaysia Free and Open Source Group:
   * http://my-opensource.org