Re: [ossig] Roundtable on Intellectual Property Right CooperationBetween Malaysia and the US

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 15:42 +0800, jason chong wrote:
> There're people who're very pro-FTA with the USA precisely because
> they believe it will put a stop to monopoly, patronage/rent-seeking

So we gain one alleged benefit, we lose out 100 hundreds others. The
math doesn't seem appealing to me and such short sighted thinking is
worrying.

It's not a zero-sum position we are in and people should stop treating
it as such.

> behaviour in Malaysia and others, including the deregulation of the
> automobile industry, eventually leading to cheaper and affordable
> private transportation. The National Automative Policy is the biggest

Or this might never happen even if the FTA is signed. Loopholes will be
found, new legislation introduced and it will be business as usual. You
making many presumptions in that paragraph.

> The majority may actually view the FTA with USA as a GOOD THING, even
> if it means having to sacrifice something such as putting up with
> software patents. In other words, we're probably in so much shit as it
> is now, that going with the FTA is like choosing the lesser of the 2
> evils.

The majority supports affirmative action policies. That's in conflict
with your paragraph above.

> In their opinion, they feel it's better to be dominated/colonized by
> highly EFFICIENT corporate MNCs than being ripped off by inefficient
> government linked companies and putting up with NEP/NDP and
> corruption, cronyism.

When you say /they/, who exactly are you referring to? Because every
single person I have spoken to has not appreciated any form of
domination, local or foreign.

Ditesh