Re: [ossig] Roundtable on Intellectual Property Right CooperationBetween Malaysia and the US

jason chong wrote:

> Here's an interesting excerpt from Lim Kit Siang's blog comment for the
> FTA entry.
>
> http://blog.limkitsiang.com/?p=458
>

> "
> Opening up to global competitions and global standards will do us good.
> Or do we still prefer to have protection like Proton  where the infant
> never seems to grow up after more than 2 decades of spoon-feeding.
>
> Think about comparative and competitive advantage. There will always be
> roles for each country, no matter how uncompetitive we are in any
> particular areas. But of course if we want to think we can compete in
> brain-intensive areas like space exploration of state-of-the-art ICT
> industry, then we kidding ourselves and setting ourselves for a nasty
> fall. Why not R&D in palm oil and rubber?
>
> Through the various threads here, one hear of all the ills this country
> is suffering from  poor educational standards, brain drain, bad
> government policies, discrimination, etc, etc, ad nauseum. The root
> cause  NEP, NDP, NVP or its various guises and permutation  NEPotism.
>
> Now we have a saviour. This so called barbarian at the gate may just
> turn out to be our saviour. What we have not been able to achieve in the
> last 50 years of cow-peh-cow-buing might just be achieved when the
> signed FTA forces Malaysia to abandon its discriminatory and
> protectionist policies. For example, no longer will the politicos be
> able to award multi-billion ringgit contracts to their cronies without
> open tenders. No longer can they blatantly say "only this or that race
> need apply". No longer can they imposed punitive taxes on foreign cars
> just so that Proton can survive.
>
> It is this fear of competition that has lead TDM to speak out against
> FTAs. In the name of losing sovereignty, in the name of losing control
> over domestic policies. Translated, it means, the power that be will not
> be able to do as they please, no longer able to commit day-light
> robberies, no longer able to do things my way or no way.
>
> So, are we still scared of the barbarians? I say, we welcome the
> barbarians. Actually, I am beginning to question who the real barbarians
> are.
>
> It is sad. It may take outsiders to make this is better place for ALL
> its citizens."

Yes I agree that there perhaps are some benefits from the FTA.  But this
is a battle between costs and benefits, gains and losses.  We are
already in an FTA with Japan, why don't we see such service providers
through them?

Personally to me, it sounds like arrogance.  Its okay to have someone
else to help you, but to completely rely on them is not the answer.  It
sounds like this is the end all solution to all our problems.  The
problem is, none of the stuff is guaranteed.  Yes they may be more
choices, but are we guaranteed that quality of life will improve and we
get better internet service, etc...

<rhetorical_question>
Are we going to always rely on the foreign companies forever, and never
grow our local industry?
</rhetorical_question>

--
aizat faiz: sleep to the power of z. -_-;;^zzz
strange symphonies - http://aizatto.com/

Malaysia Free and Open Source Group:
   * http://my-opensource.org