Re: [ossig] Roundtable on Intellectual Property Right Cooperation Between Malaysia and the US

On 4/22/06, Ditesh Kumar <ditesh@gathani.org> wrote:
On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 02:42 +0800, jason chong wrote:

For crying out loud, the negotiations haven't even started. The
presumptions are premature.

It is an analysis that is based on Malaysia's track record and flip flopping policy. Call it a presumption if you will, but one that is based on Malaysia's predictable track record.

So you don't mix with the bumiputera's. Perhaps you should and see how
they feel about the fta and get a more balanced point of view.

Ok, maybe you can help us provide the data that reflects their sentiments towards the FTA. I think many still haven't got over the fuel hike fiasco.

Well you could get that without supporting the FTA. Don't confuse the
issues.

Yes, you definitely can get that without the FTA. Care to provide a specific time frame for that to happen ? The 9th Malaysian plan just reaffirmed that the NEP policy will be around for another 14 years, till 2020 and even then we have no idea if they will remove it by then. My guess is no. My guess is it will be extended indefinitely because that is the bargaining chip for the Umno boys to stay in power, to divide and rule. The very bargaining chip that guarantees their political dominance and survival.

Are people lacking jobs now? Are they being really badly paid?

I am sure the 80,000 jobless grads don't find this amusing. People I know are unable to bring in the same levels of income from their businesses compared to yesterdays, they have to taking up other part-time jobs. Property prices in my area are plunging. The bursa stock market is a lame joke and returns on investments are low. People I know are trying to find ways to invest in stocks/shares outside of Malaysia because they have no confidence in Malaysia's stock markets. Foreign factories are moving to cheaper countries, and it's a matter of time they move to China/India unless we have something more solid to offer them, such as a domestic market for them to sell their products. Asking automobile manufacturers to come here and provide us jobs and yet at the same time ban them from selling their cars here, is a BIG JOKE.

Sometimes I think you people living in KL are like those living in America. Maybe you guys ought to try working in other states of Malaysia and see it for yourselves You'll see a huge income disparity for the equivalent jobs you get in KL, but you'll still have to pay as much as you did for your car/transportation.

>From what I see, the middle class is fairly well educated and have
stable jobs with a decent disposable income.

The middle class you see in KL area. ;)
You see people driving nice cars, but you don't see how much debts they have. The car is definitely a burden on most of the population. Everyone playing the keeping up with the Jones games is why we seem to think they're well off. Nobody in the right mind will want to show you that they're not well off or unstable. What goes underneath, well, we all know, and they know it themselves. Try looking at the data for credit card debts and debts from automobile loans. Last I check we have huge automobile debts by the people and many cars repossessed.

For those doing businesses, you'll know when your client takes too long to pay up or dont at all. The people I know who runs their own businesses have trouble collecting debts compared to during the good times.

And we already have this without the FTA.

 And there's not enough of it, as FDI's are moving out to cheaper places.

I have this strange feeling that we may be living in different
countries. Or perhaps even different planets altogether.

Well, I guess very well off people will never see things from the point of view of the man in the street.