Re: [ossig] Someone can reply this?

On 27 Apr 2006, at 7:44 PM, Satya Arjunan wrote:
> http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/4/27/focus/
> 14072637&sec=focus

> We must remember that buying a computer comes with associated
> problems. What happens when the hard disk is infected by a virus?
>
> The usual route is to reformat the computer. Then what?
> Installation of the operating system.
>
> Don't get me wrong. I do not support the use of pirated software.
> But we must think of student interests. The current prices would be
> a heavy burden for students.

This mail strikes me as a troll. Especially since the "lecturer" is
talking about notebooks - it's almost impossible to buy a notebook
without paying the Microsoft tax - almost all notebooks come with
Windows installed. This means that the reinstallation disks are also
included, so the owners of the laptops should be able to reinstall
without piracy.

On the other hand, if these are desktops purchased without a Windows
license, then the user was already using Windows illegally and
viruses don't change this equation at all.

That said, it is a nice opportunity to write something about FOSS
operating systems. :)

Ken