Re: [ossig] Someone can reply this?

Satya Arjunan wrote:
> It seems the writer's main concern is the cost of the OS. Most of the
> applications used in academia either support Linux or there are
> equivalent OSS available

My usual disagreement here. From where I am, where I was and whom I meet
and what I see, academia does teach "Microsoft"; but not applications.
VB (still !), Access, especially Excel, IIS (in a lower dominance), and
usually ASP; at times .Net. Always MSSQL. Texts are written with WORD
and presentations are usually required to be of the POWERPOINT type.

Though I agree with William on the trolly flavour, one might as well ask
this 'concerned lecturer' why academia base their syllabus 90% on that
expensive solution. The core of the problem and its solution (contrary
to fighting symptoms) does not lie in pricing and potential
availability. It lies in the *actions* of concerned lecturers, beyond
whining publicly and begging to lower the price.

Uwe