[ossig] Open Document Format Gets ISO Approval

The Open Document Format has been approved as an international standard by
the International Standards Organization, a move that supporters say will
serve as a springboard for the adoption and use of ODF around the world.

The ODF allows the retrieval of information and the exchange of documents
without regard to the application or platform in which the document was
created. The format is supported by Corel, IBM, Novell, Opera Software,
Oracle, Red Hat and Sun Microsystems.

Microsoft, which is pushing its OpenXML document format as an alternative
to ODF, plans to seek ISO approval for OpenXML as well.

Jason Matusow, director of standards affairs for Microsoft, in Redmond,
Wash., reiterated Microsoft's commitment to supporting interoperability
between OpenXML and ODF documents, saying the "richness of competitive
choices in the market is good for our customers and for the industry as a
whole."

The ODF developed out of work done at the open-source OpenOffice.org
project. That work was later submitted to, and further developed at, OASIS
(Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards),
where it was accepted as an official OASIS standard in May 2005.

The European Commission's IDA (Interchange of Data between Administrations)
Management Committee also publicly encouraged OASIS to submit the OASIS ODF
standard to the ISO once OASIS had completed its work on the standard.

The six-month approval ballot for the ODF's adoption as a standard by the
ISO and the IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) ended on May 1
in a vote to approve.

Also, in March, a coalition of organizations from across the world got
together to launch the ODF Alliance, whose goal is to enable governments to
have direct management and greater control over their documents.

The alliance started off with just 36 members, but has now grown to more
than 150 members worldwide.

"The ODF Alliance believes that approval of ODF by the ISO standards body
as an international standard will  have a particularly strong impact in
Europe where ISO standards enjoy official recognition under European Union
Directives," Marino Marcich, the recently appointed executive director of
the ODF Alliance, said in a statement on May 3.

The approval of ODF by the ISO is also an important step in the effort to
help governments solve the very real problem of finding a better way to
preserve, access and control their documents now and in the future, Marcich
said, in Washington.

"There's no doubt that this broad vote of support will serve as a
springboard for adoption and use of ODF around the world and, at the same
time, represents a milestone for the ODF Alliance," he said.

The ODF is also under consideration at the Regional Open ICT Ecosystem
Conference, currently underway in Bangkok. The conference is being attended
by representatives of a number of Asian governments and brings together
experts, executives and policy makers from government, business and academia.

"Within it, ODF is being discussed as a vehicle for universally compatible,
innovative and cost-effective technology used within governments. The
conference and this week's positive ISO vote clearly demonstrate the
momentum behind the Open Document Format," Marcich said.

But Microsoft is fighting back, trying to convince people that its OpenXML
is an "open" standard that's every bit as good as the ODF.

In March 2006, Microsoft Chairman and Chief Software Architect Bill Gates,
speaking at the Microsoft Office System Developers Conference, announced
that the company has joined with 39 other organizations to form the Open
XML Formats Developer Group.

Microsoft's Matusow told eWEEK on May 3 that the Redmond-based software
giant shares the same vision as the proponents of the ODF: the promise of
XML-based formats as the ideal technology for data interoperability and
archiving.

But he maintained that with the new innovations in the use of XML giving
users greater control over their documents on a daily basis, "no one XML
schema can meet the archival needs of all government and businesses today."

PointerClick here to read more about the intensifying battle between
Microsoft's OpenXML format and the ODF.

There are hundreds of industry-specific XML schemas currently being used by
industries such as health care, real estate, insurance, finance and
publishing, he said.

"The progress of ODF and Open XML in the standardization processes is
further evidence of the impact that XML will have on the industry as a
whole. ODF is yet another XML-based format in the market. The ODF format is
limited to the features and performance of OpenOffice and StarOffice and
would not satisfy most of our Microsoft Office customers today," he said.

But Microsoft plans to support interoperability with ODF documents as they
start to appear and will not oppose its standardization or use by any
organization, he said.

Microsoft is submitting its OpenXML formats to Ecma International for
approval as an international standard.

Meanwhile, the ODF Alliance intends to build on the format's ISO approval
by working with governments around the world to adopt the Open Document
Format, Marcich said, adding, "We believe access to public records and
essential services should never be restricted to users of a particular
brand of software or computer platform."