[ossig] Re: [myoss] 53% of Malaysian software is based wholly or partly onopen source

On 05/03/06 20:42 Ditesh Kumar said the following:
> About 53% of Malaysian software is based wholly or partly on open
> source, according to Wilvin Chee, IDC Asia Pacific software research
> director.

i have doubts on this figure. what exactly does he mean by "Malaysian
software" ? is he referring to indigenously developed software, or just the
total body of software used by malaysians.

i seriously doubt the statistic if it refers to the latter, as empirical
evidence doesnt support it. if it's the former, then it's a good statistic
and strengthens the notion that open source is an engine for the
development of the local software industry.