Re: [ossig] FC2 Linux need to upgrade

Nicholas A. Suppiah wrote:

> I have feedbacks and many have sworn on debian in US and Europe but I
> have not met any org implementing Debian in Malaysia successfully for
> long term. Will try to lookout for some.

How could it !?? I swear on it (and OpenBSD); but I may do so: I know
how to support myself.
This is the point: With RedHat, Novell, you get support and support is
what you need for large scale deployment. I'm not talking about mailing
list and other 'nerdy' stuff. I am talking about a phone number,
physical address. 24/7, probably.
Which is why Debian would be a bad solution in *such* cases.

Uwe

> I would appreciate if the rest would be able to provide input on
> implementation success in this region.
>

> On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 02:19, Nur Hussein wrote:
>

>>I'd say anything Debian or Debian-based. It's got *everything* in the
>>Apt repository, and installing anything at all is one apt-get away.
>>Reasons for Debian (or Ubuntu if you want something more "integrated"
>>and cutting edge):
>>
>>1. It's free as in all meanings of the word.
>>2. The packaging system is really neat.
>>3. It's supported for an eternity, and upgrading when the inevitable
>>time comes is as easy as apt-get dist-upgrade.
>>4. Hardware support is as good as Linux-kernel will get you. Ubuntu is
>>rumoured to work with/support non-free drivers etc. too, so that may
>>give you even wider hardware support.
>>
>>Right now I use Debian Etch as my workstation, and I install either
>>Etch or Sarge whenever there's a computer which needs Linux.
>>
>>I've tried Redhat, SuSE, Slackware, Mandrake... they've all annoyed me
>>one way or another. No comment on the *BSDs. Don't really care much
>>for them.
>>
>>-= Nur Hussein =-

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who
cannot read them." - Mark Twain